- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 07-21-2017
Being overweight or obese is quickly rising to the top of the list of preventable health risks, soon to possibly pass smoking. New research has also linking obesity to the higher risk of cancer and dementia. Walking is a fantastic way to not only bring your weight down but to keep it in check.
How much walking is enough? Any walking is good but to some degree it depends on your goals. 10,000 steps is the basic standard. It adds up to about 5 miles per day. The average person going about their business walks between 750 to 2,500 steps a day. If this is you, work your way up to a goal of 10,000 steps a day.
If you are trying to lose weight consider that competing 10,000 steps a day will burn between 2,000 and 3,500 extra calories a week. One pound of body fat equals 3,500 calories so you could lose up to 1 pound a week, of course given that you are also watching the quantity and quality of food you are eating.
To get started, get a pedometer, a fitbit, or use an app on your phone. Wear it for 1-2 weeks to get your personal average. Then try to start adding an extra 500 - 1,000 steps a day. Once you have reached that goal for 102 weeks, add another 500-1,000. It doesn't matter where or how you walk, the important thing is to get out and start walking.
Ways to Increase Your Daily Steps
- Try walking with a friend or a dog
- Use the stairs instead of elevators.
- Park farther out in the parking lot.
- Window shop
- Plan a walking meeting or walk over to visit a neighbor
- Get outside and walk around your neighborhood or if its too hot, go to an indoor mall.
- Be creative and have fun adding steps to your daily life.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.
- Introductory presentation for Join the Journey to Health 21 Day Detox/Purification Program
- Dinner with Doc at Longhorn Steakhouse on Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd.
Online Backpack Awareness Week Evaluation Form Click HERE
|Monday||8:00 AM - 1:00 PM||2:00 PM - 6:00 PM|
|Tuesday||8:00 AM - 1:00 PM||Closed|
|Wednesday||8:00 AM - 1:00 PM||2:00 PM - 6:00 PM|
|Thursday||Closed||12:00 PM - 6:00 PM|
|Friday||8:00 AM - 1:00 PM||Closed|
|8:00 AM - 1:00 PM||8:00 AM - 1:00 PM||8:00 AM - 1:00 PM||Closed||8:00 AM - 1:00 PM||Closed||Closed|
|2:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Closed||2:00 PM - 6:00 PM||12:00 PM - 6:00 PM||Closed||Closed||Closed|
Whole Health has greatly improved my quality of life! My MS symptoms have diminished significantly. Dr. Alexander truly cares about helping you feel well and living your best life. The staff is wonderful too! If you are looking for a healthy alternative to overcome any health situation.